Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Thoughts of a "future" mom

I've been thinking about my future kids most of the time these days. I don't know if I am that excited to be a parent at this age, or maybe because I'll be turning 21 this Thursday. The thought about it eats a big part of  my time (aside from surfing the net).

Since I am a frustrated athlete in my younger days, I want my kids to develop the talent that I failed to have. My father's side were all athletic people, and most of my cousins play basketball and volleyball for their respective schools and even reached Palarong Pambansa during their days. Well, it's such a pity that I grew up as a sickly person, and that my mother's side is not that supportive in terms of sports. Instead, they're more inclined to academics, and that resulted to my mama, mommy, and uncles to be non-athletic people yet excelled in their studies. (Mommy was a salutatorian and Mama was a 1st Honorable Mention.) I know that acads and sports can be worked together, but unfortunately, some things didn't worked out for me. *sigh* I was asked by my preschool teacher to take piano classes when I was in Nursery because I used to sing well before (singing well as a kid differs from singing well as an adult). She felt like music will be my forte. Too bad I was a lazy kid during weekends and vacation days that I'd rather watch TV all day, lock myself in my room , play dress up, act or speak in front of the mirror, and read tons of books silently. Well, I regret that I didn't took up those piano classes. TT

And because of what I mentioned above, I want my kids to be good both in sports, music, and acads. :) Some of my elder friends said that I sound like a soon-to-be stage mother, but I don't see myself as like that. I would be a very cool mom that will give my kids a lot of choices of  what they want to do, help them empower themselves and gather knowledge from those things I provide to them. Not everyone were given the chance to learn sports and music at a very young age. Those future kids of mine would be very lucky. (Well, before they'll be lucky, me and my future husband should really work hard to provide them all of that. Haha, my conversation with my BFF comes to mind :D)

For sports, I want them to learn how to play basketball, volleyball, and football. Those 3 sports were the popular ones and can be easily played everywhere. But I also want them to learn Judo or Taekwondo, for future self defense :)) I envy my other cousins who got to learn Taekwondo and Judo, too bad I was living in the island with my grandparents, and no one teaches about those sports.

In music, I want them to learn how to play the guitar, drums, violin and piano. Guitar is a very basic instrument, so it should be the first thing they need to practice and then the drums because they're both vital in a band. Haha, I'm also a frustrated drummer. :) Violin and piano, for me, are romantic kind of instruments. They kinda exude a different feeling when it is played. Violin reminds me of Hua Ze Lei. Hahahaha. My mom was a frustrated pianist. Even in her early thirties, she still studied piano. She was able to play only one song in her entire life, which is Unchained Melody. She wanted me to learn piano at an early age so that it won't be difficult for me when I grow but. But yeah, it looks like I took the same direction with my mom.

Honestly, even when I was only 9 years old then, I felt like I'm too old to learn how to play the piano, or learn Taekwondo, Judo, guitar, or even do gymnastics. I always think in advance, and I feel like I'm too old for some things, but it's not. A friend of mine studied guitar in HS, and I can hear him play his guitar from his bedroom (we're neighbors). At 21, my cousin just bought a guitar, and I was like  "She'll have a hard time learning since she's old to start learning about that instrument." I feel like it was just me who hinders myself to do what I want (I think this quote was already printed in Advo :P) In high school, I tried to join the Rondalla Club. I studied how to play banduria by myself, then I was accepted in my junior year. Learning how to play that instrument was an achievement already. I'm thankful with my HS alma mater because of the opportunities that they have for its students. Later on, from drum and lyre (dancing), we shifted to cheerdancing which also involved (a bit of) gymnastics. A 14-year old girl like me won't be that flexible compared to the younger kids who could bend their bodies like rubber. But since I'm in it already, no choice but to continue what I had started. I had the worst body ache I encountered in my entire life after our 1st practice! haha, I couldn't even get up on my bed. Gahd. Haha, for 2 years in the squad, I managed to do bending, a bit of split, and good jumps. I even had a flat tummy those days! Hahaha. I wanted my kids to experience various things that will be helpful for them.

Not that I feel burdened about the thought of having kids, but actually I'm really excited for my future. I'm excited to work and do well in my field so that my dream would be materialized. Haha, I may be too advanced in thinking about this kind of things, but it's much better that you already have a goal for yourself and your future family. In short, a good sense of direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment