I happened to click a link directing to Radyo Palawenos livestreaming, and then they're airing the Cuyunon mass straight from Puerto Princesa Cathedral. I'm really happy because it's been a while since I last heard a Cuyunon mass. It was Fr. Jess (who happened to be our neighbor in Cuyo) who was the celebrant/officiating priest. Sakto na naabutan ko pa yung second reading and then yung Gospel. It's about Joseph's dream of sending Mary and Jesus to Egypt because of King Herod's threat (oh yes, I'm too familiar on this one. Since I studied in a Baptist-run school in Kindergarten, ilang beses na namin tong inulit ulit :) ). Any, I remember that today's the feast of the Holy Family.
Fast-forward to sermon (Gospel din yun diba?), Fr. Jess shared a story about a young thief caught by a policeman. So, the policeman asked the little kid why he committed that crime and where are his parents. And the kid replied that he had nothing to eat, and that his father is a drunkard and his mother's doing nothing at home. The policeman asked about his the kid's and parent's name, and then he answered that his mom is "bruha", his father is "demonyo", he is "demonyito", and they're living in "impyerno." Pissed with the little boy's answer, he accompanied the kid on his way home and then found out the reason why the kid answered his questions that way. Kahit di pa sila nakakalapit sa bahay, naririnig na nila yung away ng mag-asawa and yung pag-banggit ng mga ganung pangalan.
So, the priest asserted that parents should be the model of every kid because in the end, they will mirror how their parents raised them up. Not 100% accurate, but many of us still believe in the saying "Kung ano ang puno, sya rin ang bunga." (And I remember Lola saying "Alangan na mamunga ng mangga yung barantiong (also known as wintermelon) !!") Some kids nowadays forgets about the precious lessons shared to them by their parents. They want to do things "their way" rather than seeking advice from them. I think they're just too excited to grow up, but forgets how to act like a matured one. Being a grown-up kid won't assure you any maturity. Physical maturity maybe? It doesn't mean that even you're old enough to decide for yourself, then you don't need advice from your parents. I think it's your parent's obligation or purpose in life to guide you all the way, and you, as their child, you also have to follow them because, yeah, they're right and they know what's good or not. And this one was related by Fr. Jess to Joseph who followed God's order through his dreams without any complaints or second thoughts. And because of this, Jesus grew up as a good son, and still followed Him to die for our sins.
At the middle of the Gospel, the priest shared about the three important lessons by St. Paul. Those are "mababa leba" or humility, "mapatinawaden" or forgiving, and "mapinasinsayen" or understanding. He said that those are also or should be the main lessons that parents should teach to their kids. I think those are just basic things that are automatic already in every people, but when you think about it, most of us already forget to incorporate those things in our daily lives. He said that these things are learned at home, not in somewhere else. And as a family, it is a must to pray together because prayer is like a strong bond that holds them together.
He also had another story about a little kid who eats with his maternal grandfather. Due to old age, his grandfather started to lose his eyesight already, and always breaks his plate whenever he's eating. And because of that, he was being scolded by the lil kid's mother. So one day, the kiddo's mom saw his son making a plate made on wood, and when she asked him why he made it, he answered that when she gets old, she will use that wooden plate so that she won't break it when she accidentally drops it. I find it really touching since the kid is fully aware on different things about him. Although his mom served as a not-so bad example of a child scolding his parent on his mistakes as an elderly, but then the kid chose to think about the good things he will do if her mother reached in her old age already. Since I grew up with my grandparents, I really know how it was like living with elder people. Yes, they commit mistakes but you can't blame them because it happens when you're old already, and during those times, they need you to be there for them, not as someone who will scold them like a little kid. For me, it is a great achievement to serve your parents (on my part, it's my grandparents) because you owe a lot to them. You will not be here in this world without them. I'm lucky enough to live with my grandparents because I was able to experience the way they raised my mom, although I was quite spoiled by my lolo, being the only grandchild left in Cuyo.
According to St. Paul, those people who take care, love,and respect their parents will receive four graces from God. Those are 1)akabayad sa kasalanan (Your sins will be easily forgiven); 2) masasabat nga lagi ang pangadi (Youre prayers will be easily answered); 3) manggad sa lugta ig manggad sa langit (richness in heaven and Earth); and 4) papalabegen ang kabui (Long life).
Despite of those God's graces I mentioned, serving or following your parents doesn't need something in return. For everything that they have done for us, they didn't asked us to pay them back. But as a good children, they also deserve something from us. Being a good son/daughter who fears God is, I think, enough for them already. Because whatever may happen to us, they will embrace us wholeheartedly. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment