Being a nurse working in a public hospital is no easy job. I had it the hard way when I first had my duty since I'm the only bedside nurse (apart from the charge nurse) who's in charge of 24 patients, which sometimes balloons up to forty and occupies even the hallways of the hospital. Even though it sounds tiring and anybody who wants to be a nurse will avoid working in a public hospital, I've learned a lot of things there and made me appreciate simple acts.
We happened to have a patient who had a seizure when we're doing our rounds. For us, it was like oh-yeah-toxic-shift-again scenario, and did the usual thing to help our patient. It was not a good graveyard shift for us and we're up all night to do our job. I was a bit surprised when our patient's daughter showed up at the station holding 2 cups of coffee. We may have our own coffees but the fact that the daughter showed her gratefulness thru those cups of coffee touched us. We just did what we're supposed to do,and she appreciated it. Right before they were discharged, they gave our charge nurse some food to show their appreciation. Too bad that it was my off day since they also want to thank me personally.
Being in a public hospital in my own province means a lot to me because I feel like Im giving back to the people who really needs help. Even though I still want to work in Manila, it's also good that I started my career here in the province, same with mommy who serves as my idol. I've seen a lot of scenarios where people cries because of their loved ones, and patients who goes out in the hospital fully recovered. Stress aside, I think I'm destined to be a nurse, and right now, I can't think any other career for me apart from nursing. I know that this is what I want to do til I get old. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment