Sunday, September 22, 2013

My take on Family/Famealy Day

Okay, I know you're all familiar with that Lucky Me commercial where a bullied kid tries to talk to his parents but his mom and dad are busy talking to their phones (in short, they're not paying attention to their kid). Why did I try to write about this? Because I hate it when kids are not given proper attention or guidance in their critical years.

I really didn't had a "complete" family, my mom died and my dad works abroad. So, I was left under the care of my grandma and nanay. Since they're also quite busy, sometimes you can't demand too much time from them and the only chance you get to be with them is during meal time.

If I were the kid in the commercial, I would transform as a big badass who continues to talk even though they're busy with their businesses. (Sorry for that badass thing, but I also did the same thing when I was young.) Being bullied is a serious thing. It makes you feel smaller as a person, and also vulnerable to other "feeling macho/superior" kids. It's also good to be talkative and open to your parents even if they don't do the same for you. You might never know, they might be doing the same eventually.

Kids needs someone behind their back, that's why they have parents. As parents, giving everything to your kid is not a measure of being a really good parent. Actually, it doesn't even count as a part of good parenting.

Let me remind you dear parents, having children is not just a gift, but also an obligation given to you by God. It is your obligation to raise someone who mirrors God. In the end, whatever happens to your kids will boil down to you because it will reflect you as a parent.

To those kids out there, I can't ask you to be like me, an outspoken kid way before I could remember. Even as a lil kid, you can stand up for yourself. Remember that those people who does bad things against you will remind you that you should do good, and that you'll be the opposite of them. Be close to your parents even if they're not doing the same for you. Make them realize that you need them and you love them. You are lucky to have parents unlike those youngsters who don't have a complete family, and who lack guidance and love.

I dunno what to feel about this Famealy Day, because having meals with your family should be an everyday routine, and doesn't really have to happen once a year. But yeah, it's kinda good that there's a lone day like this that will remind everyone about this.

Since I lived with lola and nanay for 14 years, we rarely eat together during the day. Actually, they can pause what they're doing and join me at the dining room. At first, I didn't complained, but as I grew up, I started telling them that we should eat together no matter what. I think I was already in high school that we ate together until I went to Manila for college.

Question: Did I lacked guidance or love from them? No. Why? Because it's not just during meals that we show love, guidance, or talk over some family-related or serious things at home. For I am a clingy kiddo, I always go wherever they are. Like whenever Lola's sewing some dresses, I stay beside her, look what she's doing, and ask her how to do this and that. Then after she finished here work, we would talk about random things. And from her, I became interested on parenting. When it comes to Nanay, I think she never lacked anything. I have her full attention, actually. Well, sometimes it really depends. hahaha. I learned to be clingy from her. She would always call me to go where she is around the house, then would hug me and ask me to stay with her. Sometimes, I would find it reaaaally weird.

Lastly, Family Day. Some says that Sunday is Family Day. And I don't care. Family Day is not even written on the calendar so I won't say that it's done just during Sunday. Family Day must be EVERYDAY.

Honestly, in my 14 years of being with Lola and Nanay, we don't celebrate Family Day. That's it. Like what I said, it must be everyday. Sometimes it annoys me (especially in college) whenever someone uses Family Day or going to church as an escape to its obligation. (hahaha. And my sports writing days enters the scene!) First, you have an obligation, so it's a must that you will fulfill it. And second, you're adding some problems to other people who doesn't have time to rest just to cover what you'll fail to do. Sometimes, I would say that "Sana pala tinakwil na  ako ng family ko dahil 3-4 years na akong di sumasama sa Family Day!" (hahaha, don't worry. I already moved on with that) Not that I'm ranting too much here but I know I'm saying what's right.

Those kids are lucky enough to be with their parents even in college. Do they ever mind those people who tried to live on their own while surviving in this jungle? They are just one lucky beings to be pampered by their parents. I think, being absent on one family day won't hurt that much, right?

Fine, I dunno how to end this but I will leave piece of advice that may be already painful to the ear since you heard this gazillion of times already. Be a good children to your parents. Bow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment