I come up of making this blog post because of Cindy's recent column in FEU Advocate. But take note, this aint a hate post to the writer but I'll be tackling a certain topic that was mentioned there. So to understand what Im talking about, kindly read Cindy's column, okey? :)
Her column was about our school's high school superstar who's reported to change his colors from green-and-gold to blue and white. Well, if you're familiar to UAAP, you'll probably get this. The kid actually expressed earlier that he would like to stay with FEU because of "loyalty" then few weeks later, a news erupted that he's set to change his path from Morayta to Loyola. At first (well up to now) I don't believe those reports that he's Katipunan-bound. I was like "Hello? I cant imagine him wearing those colors. And besides, it's just an issue!" The next day, his dad told the media that his son is set to play for his current's school rival for college. Few reports have circulated and then the kid already opened his side and said that he has to make a decision, and beside's he's still in high school.
Bottomline, parent's decision vs son's decision. Based on Cindy's column "It was reported that he had already signed a contract with our University but then again, another deal was made by his father, who actually has the right to do it since his son is not yet 18 years old." If I were JMP (the kid), I wouldn't let my dad speak in my behalf it would be different on what I have said or earlier decided. Sorry if it sounds rebellious but his father must respect on what JMP wants. Yes, he's just 17 years old and still a minor, but it doesn't mean that he would be taking over his son's decision especially in his career. Even a 6-year-old kid already knows what he wanted to be in the future, why can't he trust his son who will be turning 18 soon? Am I to diagnose them with Impaired Parenting? Just kidding. Sorry for making this a big issue but I can't let this pass. Where's the freedom here? (Im talking about freedom in having what you want in life) If I were JMP, I would stand for what I want. Later on, I might regret for letting the chance to slip away on my hands. Let's face it, JMP will be in a win-win situation. He'll be a part of the country's top university and well known basketball team, then who knows? He might be knows as this generation's superstar. But in his high school alma mater, he'll be remembered as someone who doesn't keep his words and a person who doesn't know what loyalty is.
At an early age, kids must be involved in family's decision making though it's just a petty matter or not. In this case, kids can practice how to man their lives and speak up their mind to their parents, as well as developing their mental maturity. I admit that I was raised as someone like this. At 5, my grandma asked me about the new boarding house that she wants to put up, and I said yes. So after that, I gave her reasons why it is a big yes for me. And as the time goes on, Lola- together with Nanay, Mommy and even my Dad- always ask me about my stand about a certain issue and my reaction on their decisions. Well Im proud that they do consider my point and respect it wholeheartedly. Their trust in me we're immeasurable. Maybe because I turned out to be a young woman who knows what she wants, what she stands and believes in, and someone who'll kick every bad people's butts if they'll plan to mess up with the things I planned. In return to what I did for them, they support me all the way because they know that I know what is right for me. They still do their obligations as parents-- to remind me about the things that I might have forgot and continue to empower me whenever I feel down. I hope that all parents were like them. I might not have the perfect family, but I have the perfect people who raised me as a complete person. Take note, all my life, Mommy and Papa we're not by my side while growing up, but still, they have a large percentage when it comes to parenting. It was Nanay and Lola who mainly supervised me all the way.
Sometimes, we have to be rebellious when our 'rents we're holding our necks too tight. We're not dogs, we're humans, and we have our own will. As children, don't be afraid to speak out your mind, who knows, you have the best-est decision that your parents haven't heard in their whole life. Yes, be positive! Your parents won't eat you alive when you have to utter something. No matter what, it's our parents' obligation to stick with us through good and difficult times then give the proper guidance we need. "Proper guidance." They don't have to declare Martial Law anyway. They will give us the understanding and the support that they need. As their children, we must give back to them, like respecting and loving them, be a good son/daughter, do well in school (and in life too!), and demonstrate to them that we're capable in standing up to our decisions. For me, the greatest tool for a harmonious relationship of parents and children is communication. Okay, you can supply the most appropriate adjective for communication :P I mean, how will the two parties know about each others' wants if they wont talk and communicate? Makes sense right? So going back to my argument in the second paragraph that "I wouldn't let my dad speak in my behalf it would be different on what I have said or earlier decided," I will still stick to it. But, before my dad do it, we must talk about it hundreds of times, but if we won't agree to what I have decided, I'll do everything to convince him and lay his 1000% support before I let him speak for me.
Sorry again for being such a weird thinker, I just want to express my thoughts here. We're born free and we are the highest form of animals, so why they suppress us? Not a rebellious daughter here, just a free and modern day thinker ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment