Last Sunday, I just grabbed Slam Magazine's latest ish where Terrence Romeo's name was on the cover. Actually, I wasn't planning to buy magazines since my rack's already full. HAHA. It was Justine who told me that Romeo's featured there, and since I'm an ex-Juliet (I'll just tell you the story later), I was kinda interested on what's there.
As I browsed the magazine, I first came across June Mar Fajardo's article, read some lines there then proceed on the TR article. The moment I saw the first 2 pages, which contain his picture and a huge title, I was like "Wow, nagpa-interview sya dito tapos samin eh picture lang, ayaw pa na." I turned on the next page and kinda shocked that the article's writer and I share the same fate of not being replied by Romeo. "Really? Di rin sya nag-reply? Nakakahiya naman ganung ugali. You already agreed on the interview tapos biglang waley?" Then, the writer just interviewed key people that could say something about the 20-year old combo guard, which include Coach Bert, Coach Magtulis, and Mike Tolomia. I really liked the angle of the story. It's like it indirectly answered Romeo's ball-keeping attitude (Sorry, I really can't say bwakaw, or ball-hogger). Actually, it's kinda hard topic, that I, myself, can't even ask other people that "Is Romeo a selfish ball distributor? (Uhh? magulo Lhea. Where's the sense?)
Going back, Coach Bert is a person that will honestly tell you what's wrong on this kid since he's aware that TR has this thing called "shoulder fake-head fake-with hair swaying move-plus-I-can-do-this-all-by-myself-and-shoot-the-ball-without-sharing-to-my-teammates disease. Sorry for being harsh guys especially to some of his fans that might be able to read this. TR has an incredible talent, I know we all agree. He's also hardworking when it comes to taking time to practice his shooting (Someone from R.Papa told me this before and I have seen him before practicing even in the dark. Yeah, srsly). But he has to learn that he doesn't have to carry the burden single-handedly. There are 4 other guys, waiting for the ball he's going to distribute and facilitate, that will take that magical shot. And there's also a concept of 24-seconds that will let you plan and get that right timing to bury that dagger into your opponent's throat, and not throwing the ball freely like the one's in the arcade.
On the other hand, as a schoolmate, Im happy on what he achieved this year, especially being a part of the Mythical 5. Being one takes a lot hardwork from the start of the season til the end. We've seen how FEU rose above the seven other schools with that 4-0 record. That's already something. He was a hero in every game that he played, with long-dropping triples, defense-slashing drives, cat-quick hands that swiped every ball off an opponent, a sprinter-like fastbreaks and his signature shoulder fake-head fake-then- stepback jumpers that can make any girl go crazy seeing his nearly angelic face, lazy eyes and Son Goku-like hairstyle that he nourished for more that 3 months. (Phew! that was looooong!) I can't imagine FEU sans Romeo during their crucial first three games in Season 73. As some sports writers and Coach Bert said "It could have been 0-3, not 3-0." But how about FEU without RR Garcia? Well, more unimaginable (for me). Garcia suffered from an ankle injury from a practice before the season. With that incident, Garcia had a lesser time on court and gave Romeo more time to take charge as one of the veterans. As some UAAP fanatics observed, TR and RR doesn't seem to have that balanced pH, in short, chemistry. Whenever they are on the floor together (IDK who assumes the 1 and 2), they simply don't pass the ball on each other. (Guuuuuys? This is not an arcaaade). I have seen it a lot of times already, even last year. Well, it's just this time that it's more evident. But there are those times that when they share it, it was like a nuclear bomb that can wreck the whole arena. During FEU vs NU Game (Sept 2), Garcia dished the ball on Romeo in the left wing, then shoots a triple that gave them a 2-point edge. Well, that game might not be counted as a win (Hello Technical Committee!), but it's SOMETHING. Something that not everyone witnessed. Another one was their KO game against DLSU. FEU was 7 points behind the Taft-based team and 38 seconds' left in the game clock. Everyone from the Morayta side wished for a miracle, until Garcia passed the ball on Romeo and knocked a triple, then Garcia stole the ball from DLSU's possession and dropped a three pointer that left the other team in a one-point advantage with 30 secs left. Yes, six points in 8 seconds. Magical, doesn't it? Yet, it was a sorry loss for FEU since it was the first time they were kicked out of the Final 4 in 5 years. Oops, I still have another one in my sleeves! Well, this time, FEU won their first cardiac game in the season. Less than 20 seconds left in the fourth quarter, UST's possession, and up by 1 point. The Tigers need to shoot that one last shot to run away their first game. Jeric Fortuna carefully dribbles the ball, inspecting the area and switches his attention to his coach, waiting for his signal to drive the ball. As his attention focused on his mentor, he forgot what he has in his right hand. It was the perfect timing for Romeo to swipe the ball, pass it to the running Tolomia and to Garcia who was waiting to make the finishing touches. And the ball safely entered the ring with 7 seconds remaining. And FEU's up by 1! UST wasted no time and made a fast play with Mariano on the downtown and missed the big shot when the time expired.
Garcia's fate next year is still undetermined, whether he'll stay or embark a new journey in the pros. Whatever happens, it will be Romeo who is expected to take over the floor general title. But in that time, Romeo has to change, for the his own good and for the better of everyone. Talent? No doubts. Confidence? More improved this time around. So lemme switch on the other side of my rants. I know TR is a nice guy, well, according to Joshua. HAHA. But seriously, he's good. I've talked to him a lot of times already, have picture with him, etc. He also do some simple efforts to other people in his simple way (like texting someone to alleviate his/her feelings [im a living proof to that. haha]).
Actually, I've been texting him since last month for my work-related assignment (thanks to JE for his number) and he doesn't reply. Joshua already warned me that recently, he's not into interviews (Actually, it's just for a photoshoot!). Then last sembreak, I had some few trips to R.Papa Gym, hoping to catch him there and talk about the shoot. But unluckily, I wasn't able to see even a shadow of him. Last Friday, I went back to the gym with Armen and Justine. Good thing, I met Coach Jo and told him why I'm looking for the kid. We patiently waited outside, hoping to talk to him that time around but we just wasted our time. I went back to the campus and met Russel and Mac. So I talked to them and ask where can I find TR. RE offered me to join them going to their Dean's office since TR's currently enrolling, and finally get a chance to meet him after 1 month of searching him. Side story: I cant help but laugh when we reached EB 8th floor. A lot of young girls are screaming when they saw the 2 tall guys I'm with, haha. So I just waited on the side and called by RE "Lhea, tara pasok na tayo. Nasa loob sya" "Uy, di ako pwede dyan, IN ako eh. Sabihan mo na lang sya" Then he entered the room and returned after 3 minutes. "Hintayin mo na lang daw sya sa gym after. Text mo nalang sya." Me: "Uy, seryoso yan ha. Sabihin mo mag-reply sya. Kung hindi, iiscalpelin ko sya, now na." And he terribly laughed while cameras are clicking at the background. After that, I went back in the office and after 30 minutes, someone saw TR outside. So I hurriedly called Justine to run after him then he just said "Enrolment eh, busy ako". And the moment I hear it from Justine, I just bowed my head and said, I give up. But wait, I still have other pending papers! haha :)
No comments:
Post a Comment